View Single Post
Old 22-Oct-2015, 7:10 PM   #6
NthrnNYker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
That pipe and mount sounds a whole lot better!

The rotor is the remaining issue. Most likely, an inexpensive rotor won't last very long with a very large antenna like that on it. There's enough mass to it that the rotor's motor and brakes likely won't survive long and that's even if you install a thrust bearing. If the budget permits it, using an entry-level amateur radio rotor will make your life a lot easier in the future.
WHEW ! I thought this last ditch effort to salvage my endeavor wasn't going to be sufficient ... again, WHEW !

As far as the rotor goes -- indeed, it is a budget AntennaCraft rotor that I just purchased for $29 clearance from Radio Shack........that said -- as evidenced from my TVFool report -- channels 6 (WRGB-CBS),7(WXXA-FOX),10(WTEN-ABC),13(WNYT-NBC) (and a couple others) are all in a direct line at 191 degrees.... there is a couple more distant stations at angles that deviate from that 191 degrees by 15 degrees or so in either direction...so, needless to say--- the rotor is not likely to get much use -- a few times a year, and only a few degrees change at a time.....there is pretty much nothing else in any other direction. I probably would have been quite satisfied to go without a rotor, but given the deal I managed to get -- I thought I would add one. Believe me, if I had to pay the full $129 cost for this rotor, I would have given it a pass. I had the impression tho, from towerguy--- that the flexing of the antenna would completely snap the rotor mast mount because the rotor was not built solidly enough.

God I'm so glad it will now work ..I'm so relieved ! ! !

Thank you, ADTech.

Karl

Last edited by NthrnNYker; 22-Oct-2015 at 7:22 PM.
NthrnNYker is offline   Reply With Quote