View Single Post
Old 28-Jan-2011, 1:00 PM   #4
txv11

Thanks for the advice. I know that the signals are strong and I'm not far away from the stations, but the reception seems to be less than I would expect. I've tried a couple of simple indoor antennas just on the ground floor with little success. Since it's cold and snowy I haven't spent anytime trying an outdoor solution. I live in an older, densely populated neighborhood with two story + attic homes and the direction for the transmission towers is straight at a small hill and houses/trees across the street. I suspect that I'm suffering from multipath problems, but not sure if there's a way to verify that. I should also say that last night all of the channels came in with the lowest signal measurements being around 70% signal quality. I know that my DIY antenna is designed for UHF, but find it a little strange that one of the High-VHF channels (Real Channel 8) is one of the best. Lastly I'm puzzled by what seems to be very strong directionality of the antenna. If I rotate the antenna slightly (10 degrees or so), the signal readings change quite dramatically on some channels. I guess this is why I think I'm suffering from multipath. Would a more highly directional antenna help in a suspected multipath situation where you are relatively close to the transmission towers? Thanks again for the help. I know how antennas can be affected dramatically by small things and I've learned a lot on these forums.
txv11 is offline   Reply With Quote