View Single Post
Old 17-Sep-2015, 3:32 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Hello, Sorzy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorzy View Post
I mean, I waited 3, 4 maybe 5 days and emailed the webmaster twice. And I admit, the 2nd email you could tell I was frustrated with why it was taking so long.
You were lucky. Some new members have had to wait over two weeks when there was a shortage of moderators.
Quote:
I tried to break it up rather then make it all one blob of a paragraph as some do.
We appreciate that. It makes it easier to read.

To help us make a better analysis of your situation, please tells us your town or city and do a tvfool report by going here and entering your exact address (which will not show) or exact coordinates (which will be shortened) and give us the URL link in bold type near the top of the report:
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

If you are not able to do it on that page, use the interactive map browser and move the cursor to the antenna location, and click on >>Make Radar Plot:
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=90

Quote:
I just went with the most common direction.
What direction was that? For best results the antenna should be aimed directly at the transmitters.
Quote:
Before putting my set-up on my roof, I assembled it before and hooked it up to one TV.
That's a good way to do it; it gives you a baseline for comparison.
Quote:
Anyways, I hooked it up to the bedroom smart TV and got 81 digital and 1 analog channel. Woooooo Whoooooo right?
Sounds good to me, especially since you started the project on your own.
Quote:
I bought a 50ft. Quad Shield cable for the antenna to the house connection.
Quad Shield coax RG6Q isn't usually necessary unless you have a serious local interference problem; ordinary RG6 is OK.
Quote:
Which connects outside at a little line in/line out juntion point (how Cable, Dish or DirecTV did it and they all used it I believe.
You have to be careful about reusing some dish equipment, it might not be suitable for OTA. Using their coax can be OK.

Is this your setup?
DB8E > coax50' > grounding block > preamp > power inserter > splitter > 2TVs

The best location for a preamp is close to the antenna.

Quote:
The DB8E came with a UHF splitter/combiner.
Is it an ordinary splitter or a UHF/VHF combiner? What does it say on it? Can you show us a photo or gives us a link? How are you using it?
Quote:
So, there's one question to one issue. Am I getting less channels, even thought it's higher up because I'm splitting the signal between 2 sets? Even though they're both not on at the same time if ever at all.
It is possible that you are getting fewer channels because of the splitting and longer cables. It is also possible that the higher location for the antenna isn't as good as the lower test location because there are trees or buildings in the way. We need to see your tvfool report.
Quote:
I think the gold plating does nothing
gold plating reduces corrosion which might give a bad connection
Quote:
Can I use 2 amplifiers or can or do I have to use one amp for or to, each TV set, per line? Or is that not possible or advisable?
You don't usually need a preamp and a distribution amp before splitting, unless all your signals are weak, and you are feeding many TVs with long lines.
Quote:
So, I ran some solid wire, 12 gauge I think, to the ground rod already there which is where my Com Ed meter is grounded.
The wire from the grounding block for the coax to the house electrical system ground should be 10 gauge copper. Be careful not to disconnect the house electrical system ground even for a moment, when you are connecting the ground wire from the grounding bliock and the grounding wire from the mast.

The coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Todd Humphrey doesn't speak for the NFPA that publishes the NEC code, but he has some ideas that are helpful. The local electrical inspector has the final say if you are willing to get him involved. Some inspectors are more friendly than others; a local electrician could tell you.

Satellite System Grounding
Part 2 - NEC Overview
Presented by Todd Humphrey
http://www.dbsinstall.com/diy/Grounding-2.asp

Last edited by rabbit73; 17-Sep-2015 at 3:36 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote