View Single Post
Old 14-Sep-2010, 6:19 PM   #2
mtownsend

Ahh. It's clear now that there really is some terrain blockage causing your "1Edge" diffraction. This makes your signals fairly weak (in the "red" zone on your signal list). I hope you will consider going with a rooftop antenna for stations in this range because you're probably losing quite a bit of signal just because the antenna is inside the attic.

I understand that a lot of HOA policies try to scare people out of using an outdoor antenna, but you should probably read up on the FCC's OTA reception devices rule (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html). This is a federally issued policy that basically says that everyone (except for a few special exceptions) has the right to install an antenna for the purposes of OTA reception. Since it is a federal rule, it carries the legal force to supersede any landlord, HOA, city, county, or state regulations that might try to limit your right to exercise this right. Some HOAs are actually aware of this rule but conveniently forget to mention it to the residents, and for anyone not aware of this rule, the FCC link is a good place to start.

I do not advocate creating friction between yourself and your HOA, but sometimes it helps just to know that the law is on your side in this particular case.

If you are able to move your existing antenna or get a similar new antenna on the roof, I suspect that your reception will improve considerably.

If you decide to stick with an attic antenna, then you will need to go with an even bigger antenna to compensate for the building loss and added interference from being indoors. I'm not sure if you have enough room in your attic for a channel 7-69 antenna like the Winegard HD7698P.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote