View Single Post
Old 11-Apr-2017, 8:22 PM   #1
kenh999

Pesky Weird (?) Reception Issue

We recently dropped TWC-Spectrum CATV and went OTA and Stream for TV. Prior to this we had a Winegard Flatwave on our primary TV in the living room for backup when CATV went out. Reception was fairly good so I figured that an exterior antenna would be good. Well, it is, kinda.

We're in Summerville, SC - Charleston area. Two primary towers are ~30 miles away and carry our channels of interest. Am only interested in the transmitters at 97 and 99 degrees. Anything else is gravy. The antenna is aimed correctly. Here's the plot.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a45958be8c1c

My problem is usually with Ch. 36 (ABC). Sometimes it's weak, most time absolutely ZERO dB. BUT, Ch. 50 (NBC) and 24 on same tower/heading will usually be great. Occasionally 50 will drop out but more often it's 36. I'm including a table with a few sets of signal readings.

Current setup:
Antenna: 1ByOne digital amplified, Model: OUS00-0550; Gain 5-8dB, 8-11dB; Amp Gain 18dB. 70 mile rated. Mounted on a Winegard DS-3000 Pipe Mount attached to fascia at roof peak ~25' above ground. (See pics).
Cable: New 25' RG-6 from roof to CATV demarc box. Into a ground block then to a new BAMF SB-2003 splitter.
2 outputs via existing CATV cable to 1 BR (15') and LR (~30-35ft).
Amp is at the LR TV. Reception on most channels without the amp is POOR.

Also, if I disconnect exterior antenna from the bedroom TV and connect a cheap interior flatwave antenna I can get a 2-4 bar Ch. 36 signal. That TV does not give dB readings.

Also attaching a pic that shows the antenna view on the 97-99 heading. Obviously, trees. They are about 30-35 yds. away.

If it means anything I sometimes see dB levels on channels 50 and 24 fluctuate 2-4 dB within a few mins.

Appreciate any advice!

Ken

kenh999 is offline   Reply With Quote