Thread: OTA Newbie
View Single Post
Old 21-Dec-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
timgr

Maybe it would help to post a little about my installation. I am in the Boston metro area and I receive stations from three markets, Boston, Providence and New Hampshire. I get WENH reliably from here using an Antennacraft Y10713. If you run another report at a much higher elevation, you might get an idea of how likely you are to get the Boston stations. In my case, WENH should be impossible at the height of my antenna (33', ca -5 dB NM) but the report shows that WENH signal strength increases quite a lot or even change to 1-edge then LOS with added antenna height. Those negative single-digit NMs are dicey, but may improve a lot with some added height. Try it at 50'. There is something called the principle of reciprocity... I get WMUR too.

Note that all the Boston metro stations are UHF, so if you want the Boston market you should concentrate on the biggest UHF array that you can muster. I'm not familiar with the 1483... another alternative is stacked antennas. You can stack 2 or 4 identical Yagi antennas on a single mast with proper spacing and signal combining. Google it.

This is a case where risk is clearly proportional to reward. If you make the up-front investment, if it pays off, you will recoup monetary benefits every month. Up to you ...

There is a thread for installers at the top of the forum. Again, Google is your friend - https://www.google.com/search?q=ante...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited by timgr; 21-Dec-2014 at 5:26 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote