Thread: OTA Newbie
View Single Post
Old 18-Dec-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
ETMegabyte

Question OTA Newbie

Let's start with the important stuff... My report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24352e8c0e556

Let me start by saying that while I'm fairly technical overall, I have very little experience in OTA TV reception. In fact, it never really occurred to me that it was still possible. I don't have cable or dish because they're all ripoffs. Their "packages" boast 300 stations, but only like 10 of which I care about, yet I have to pay for the rest. Forget that. I'd rather go without TV entirely, and for the last few years I have done just that...

A couple weeks ago I stumbled upon a blog post about a person who gets his local channels over the air. In high def. This appealed to me, so I started reading around for basic info. What I ended up doing was picking up a GE Amplified Indoor antenna. Model 24775. It supposedly has about 20db of gain. Ultimately I know I want to get a roof-mounted setup, but it's winter, so that can wait.

Anyway, I hooked it up and ran the scan on my tv. As the report shows, I should get around 5 networks, but I only got 2. I got the ION stations, and the PBS (WENH) stations. The two stations that are northeast of me, yet the antenna is on a windowsill on the south side of the house... I was REALLY hoping to get WMUR at least. I would think at a supposed 7.11kW and only 15 miles from me it would come in. Guess not.

http://www.antennapoint.com/antennas...&commit=Search

In fact, if I do a signal search on channel 9, I get nothing. No signal at all. nada. zip. zilch. zero. This worries me.

Ultimately my goal is to get all the ones in red in my report. ABC, CBS, WBZ, etc. CBS would at least let me watch Football <hehe>... They're all pretty high powered stations (lowest is 550kW and highest is 1000kW)

Here's the issue...

I don't want to spend a ton of money to buy and put up a rooftop antenna, and an amplifier and all the other stuff needed if I'm not going to get the stations I want. And I can't find out what stations I'll get without putting up the antenna...

Is there a way around this? Is there someone I can call that has a portable setup that can (in the spring) be temporarily strapped to my chimney just to see what comes in? Then I'll know if I should spend the money or not.

And I suppose while I'm here I should ask the next newbie question. If I do decide to put up an antenna, how many TVs can I realistically hook it to? There are currently 4 digital TVs in the house... And an unfinished family room in the basement that could potentially have a 5th...

Last edited by ETMegabyte; 18-Dec-2014 at 11:51 AM.
ETMegabyte is offline   Reply With Quote