View Single Post
Old 2-Feb-2015, 6:17 PM   #20
GroundUrMast

Quote:
...in theory, could I simply swap out the custom strip-line/balun for a classic transformer/balun and I would then be receiving UHF and VHF? Just wondering at this point.
In Theory... Possibly. But the Antennas Direct DB8E has two strip line baluns... one on each section, and they are integrated into the physical design in a way that makes no provision for readily connecting an alternate balun. Antennas designed to use the older transformer type balun have binding posts that are intended to provide a connection interface to a transformer balun, the DB8E has no terminal post or binging posts so you'd find yourself altering the electrical length of the phasing lines which could dramatically detune the entire antenna. The elements and reflector dimensions have been optimized for the post 2009 UHF band.

I'd be reluctant to perform a potentially damaging & irreversible mod on a new antenna that cost the best part of two Ben Franklins... just my opinion.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote