View Single Post
Old 19-Dec-2014, 2:33 AM   #1
KevinTMC

Channels dropping out at night

With the help of the good folks of this forum (and a friend who's a whole lot handier than I am), I got set up back in September with an Antennacraft HBU44 antenna and RCA TVPRAMP-1R preamp. I'm loving it.

Now that the leaves are almost all off the trees, I'm receiving not only everything above 11 NM(db) on this site plot, but even a couple of channels I have no business pulling in (WTBS-LD 30 and WANN-CD 29):

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f0ddd0b8bc2

When things are working well, that is. There are odd occasions, however, when channels drop out. Including--even especially--the strongest ones. It seems to almost always happen in the wee hours (when I'm sometimes up due to lovely ol' insomnia).

For instance, a couple of nights ago, around five in the morning signals were pretty strong for everything except the very top entry on my site plot (WSB-TV 31). That one, which the TV usually reports at 90%+ signal strength, was down under 25% for about an hour and a half. (On my TV, stations start pixelating and cutting out between 40-50%, and are completely gone below 40%.)

What struck me as really odd was that the other, main transmitter for that same station (WSB-DT 39, which is farther away) was still coming in fine. And while they weren't solid, I was even still getting a sniff of what should have been the weakest channels by far (the aforementioned WTBS-LD and WANN-CD)

On another occasion this week, around three in the morning, I lost both WSBs, and also WAGA-DT 27, for at least an hour. WTBS and WANN were also staying below 40%; but everything else on the dial was looking about as strong as it ever does.

On yet another recent occasion, around two in the morning, both WSBs were down between 10-30% again, and so was WATL-DT 25, and WTBS and WANN were marginal. Everything else was fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on here?

(P.S. WSB seems to be a common thread here...but that may be misleading. I'm more likely to notice when that one goes out, as my first stop for insomniac television viewing is usually that station's "Me-TV" substation.)
KevinTMC is offline   Reply With Quote