View Single Post
Old 26-Jul-2017, 11:14 PM   #80
rickbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
2) I installed a generic splitter to try reception on 2 TVs last night. With the secondary TV off, signal strength on the main TV#1 (the Sony) was unchanged across all channels, compared to my original no-splitter setup. But when I turned on TV#2, the signal strength reported by the Sony for WVNY dropped by another 3 dB. The effect was very repeatable, and no other station showed a change in signal strength on TV#1. Last night was no big deal, but on stormy nights, this could cause a reception problem for WVNY, as I will be approaching the 14 dB minimum.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? Would a distribution amplifier help in this case?

Thanks!
I'm guessing here, but it sounds like the 2nd TV is not terminating the signal when off, sending the current backup the cable to the splitter, which oddly is sending it to the 1st TV. This is the only thing I can think of to allow this turning of the 3db drop on and off like that.

If you try adding another amp, get an adjustable model so you can dial it up and down to find the sweet spot between good signal and overload.

Wineguard makes a model that I've used just in front of a 2 way splitter for a similar situation. I can't remember the model off hand and I'm out of town for the week or I'd look at it. I added it after a long run to 2 TV's close together. The rest of the house did not need an amp so the adjustable one just served these 2 "remote" TVs.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote