View Single Post
Old 26-Jul-2017, 8:11 PM   #77
jrgagne99

My current setup:

Recently I've been using a single HDB91X at 30 feet agl and a MCM-30-2476 at 28.5 feet agl. Both aimed at 342 degrees, combined with the RCA-TVPRAMP1R preamp/diplexer at the mast, then 100 feet of RG-6 then 50 feet of RG-59. I get good reception of all the 342-degree stations except WFFF which is too far down in the weeds for me i guess.

Observations:

1) My wife didn't like the look of the 4-element planar reflector on the 30-2476, so I modified it down to a single element reflector. After making the change, I lost about 3 dB of SNR on WVNY (real-13), as reported by my Sony Bravia. I was not surprised by this. The SNR is still reliably at 22+, so it is a non-issue (minimum of 14 dB required for reception). So i thought.

2) I installed a generic splitter to try reception on 2 TVs last night. With the secondary TV off, signal strength on the main TV#1 (the Sony) was unchanged across all channels, compared to my original no-splitter setup. But when I turned on TV#2, the signal strength reported by the Sony for WVNY dropped by another 3 dB. The effect was very repeatable, and no other station showed a change in signal strength on TV#1. Last night was no big deal, but on stormy nights, this could cause a reception problem for WVNY, as I will be approaching the 14 dB minimum.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? Would a distribution amplifier help in this case?

Thanks!

Last edited by jrgagne99; 26-Jul-2017 at 8:15 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote