View Single Post
Old 29-Apr-2011, 4:29 PM   #1
11davie

Antenna suggestions in Battle Ground, WA

Hello, first post here. We have just moved and I have not even set up our TV yet so perhaps this question is premature. The transmitters from our house are all in one area, so that seems to make the setup much simpler, but we do have VHF stations along with UHF. Before moving we lived in the city of Vancouver WA and used a Terk set-top powered antenna to pick up all of the Portland OR stations without issue. We now live east of Battle Ground WA at the base of the mountains surrounded by tall trees, so I am sure that the little Terk will not work from here. My question is what might be a good outdoor antenna to use. It will be mounted about 70 feet from the house up a hill with LOS over the house but not the trees, and there are lots of trees. I will be feeding two or three drops in the house. I have an amplifier that I could use if needed, it is about 8 years old. TVfool and antennaweb seem to have very different recommendations for antenna size; tvfool seems to recommend a set-top (I only need to receive the green channels), while antennaweb says I will need a large directional w/pre-amp. This weekend I will be hooking it all up and trying the set-top and see how it goes. What would you experts think I will need? Thanks for your help.

Other info: There is an existing outdoor antenna that looks like it has lost some parts from fallen tree limbs so I think it would need to be replaced. Cabling is probably not RG6.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d177f4d4ba7e4

From antenna web
DTV Antenna Type Call Sign Channel Network City, State Compass Heading Miles From RF Channel
* blue vhf KOPB-DT 10.1 PBS PORTLAND, OR 202° 24.3 10
* blue vhf KGW-DT 8.1 NBC PORTLAND, OR 202° 24.3 8
violet vhf KRCW-LP 5 CW SALEM, OR 200° 24.3 5
* violet vhf KPTV-DT 12.1 FOX PORTLAND, OR 202° 24.4 12
* violet uhf KPXG-DT 22.1 ION SALEM, OR 202° 24.3 22
11davie is offline   Reply With Quote