View Single Post
Old 18-Oct-2012, 2:36 AM   #1
l2pad

Is my preamp too strong?

I just tried connecting a Winegard AP8700 Signal Amplifier to my antenna and initially the signals from all my channels improved but after a minute or so the signal strength dropped quite a bit and I actually lost half of the channels.

Here’s the link to my signal analysis report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5ed62c5a6bab6a

Here’s the long story. I started with a Winegard HD7694P on the recommendation of a friend. I got it and set it up in my attic above the garage and pointed it east. I picked up 22, 14, 13, and 32 but not 43 which is Fox and I’d really like to have all the major networks. I set it up at night but during the day the signal strength across all the channels dropped to a point where I lost some of the other channels as well. A better antenna looked like a viable alternative to cable. So after quite a bit of research I ordered the Antennas Direct 91XG and it worked MUCH better. I pointed the antenna due east through the siding of the garage (wood construction and vinyl siding), not the roof. I was picking up 22, 14, 13, 32, 43 and even 57 even though it’s farther away and in the opposite direction of the other transmitters. Then the leaves started dropping and the wind picked up and the signal started dropping like crazy for brief periods of time resulting in a complete loss of 13 some of the time and 43 is very spotty. I know 13 is high VHF and I have a UHF antenna so it’s not surprising that I’m having issues with 13. There is not a clear line of sight to the transmitters on Mount Mansfield, my neighbor’s house is across the street and blocks the transmitters and there are some trees on the other side of his house.

Tonight I set up the ANWI8700 and got a really nice boost in signal
22 went from 87% to 90%
14 went from 82% to 84%
13 went from 37% to 72%
32 went from 67% to 82%
43 went from 57% to 77% and
57 went from 52% to 75%
I congratulated myself and then the s#$% hit the fan. I lost everything above 22 and the signal strength of the remaining channels dropped in half. I’ve got close to a 100’ coax run from antenna to tv with no splitters. Is the AP8700 too strong?

I could return the AP8700 and pick up a high VHF antenna but that won’t help with 43. Any thoughts other than mounting outside on the roof which I would like to avoid at all costs? Should I try the high attic? It’s a logistical nightmare, tons of blown in insulation that I’ll have to move so I can see where I’m standing and not fall through the ceiling and getting the cable down to the TV is an issue as well…

Scott

Last edited by l2pad; 18-Oct-2012 at 2:17 PM.
l2pad is offline   Reply With Quote