View Single Post
Old 20-Feb-2011, 7:41 PM   #12
scott784

That's a very good question. How can me help others find out? I would be more than happy to participate if someone knows that answer.

I know from my own experience that I paid for tv cable for many years. It's just one of those expenses you felt you had to pay if you wanted television. I knew from being a kid (back in the 70's that OTA worked). However, like so many others, I never knew how well it could function in the modern digital age, until very recently. After 30 years of cable, I am now back to watching OTA broadcasting and very happy with it.

We all know the cable companies started out charging people very reasonable rates (relative to their wages) many years ago. I think the whole idea was to get people hooked on cable. Then once that happened, the antennas came down and life went on. Now, of course, we all know the cost of cable (and particularly HD cable) has sky rocketed.

Like others, I think it's important that there is greater awareness of this benefit. Yes, people know that OTA tv exists in the same manner as we receive radio stations. However, I think so many in the viewing population have no idea, just how well it can work, especially if they invest in a higher end quality antenna.

I think, at a minimum, people on this site can contact the FCC and let them know we want the over the air broadcast spectum to continue without any changes. I have no belief that anything would change in the short term. However, there are lobbyists in Washington who would like nothing better than to see cable and/or satelite rammed down ALL of our throats. In a worst case scenario, the RF frequencies could be taken back by the government or alternatively, the stations could be forced to downgrade their signal power to the point that the ability to pick up the stations could become very difficult. I am not predicting this, but noone knows the future.

At the end of the day, it's all about money for big business and bending a sympathetic ear in Washington as many of them practice. On top of that, special interest groups want to minimize the importance of over the air broadcasting by claiming that's it's only a small minority of citizens who would be affected, if the broadcast spectrum in this country were ever removed or further downgraded.

They can play the statistics anyway they want. However, whatever the numbers, we know there is a growing trend in the general population who are now rediscovering over the air broadcast television. But again, the question remains how can we help others develop greater awareness of OTA? It is a good question.

Anyone can reach the FCC at www.fcc.gov and share their comments.

Last edited by scott784; 20-Feb-2011 at 9:11 PM.
scott784 is offline   Reply With Quote