View Single Post
Old 8-Nov-2015, 4:35 AM   #18
scott784

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Are there objects outside that block the WGHP signal when the C4 s in the attic, like trees or other buildings?
Is that when the DB8e is aimed at WGHP or SW?

Does the TiVo have a diagnostics screen that gives signal strength, SNR, and uncorrected errors to help you find a good location for the c4?

Are you using an amp?
There are no objects outside in the immediate area of house to block WGHP. And the location of the WGHP tower (about 32 miles away as the crow files) is not too much different from the tower farm where the other Greensboro channels are located (about 30 miles from here). (The WGHP tower is in Sophia, NC--just north of Asheboro NC on the map you posted).

The DB8e has always been aimed at the S to SW. It just worked out this way because my attic space is so tight, I was never able to rotate either one of the DB8e panels. But facing this direction, it does allow me to get outstanding reception on all the (out of market) Charlotte stations 24/7. The DB8e does has a preamp on it; and it does manage to pick up my local Greensboro stations (on the side). But obviously the Greensboro signals are weaker since I could not rotate the DB8e. Still, the other Greensboro stations manage okay with this setup. But with this setup-yes, it also has difficulties locking in WGHP 24/7 without pixelations. It's not a problem all day--typically just middle of day.

But, again, this thread is about my C4 antenna and the fact that I still want to use it (on one of my TV's) to keep it positioned to the E SW for my true locals in Greensboro. Based with what happened with my DB8e (tight attic space) and the fact that I have the DB8e facing S SW.....I would be satisfied to watch all my shows on the Charlotte networks. However, the only issue is local news; and the fact that I would prefer having my true locals for that. This is why I would prefer to keep one TV dedicated to the Greensboro channels and the reason why I want to continue using the C4 (and especially too since I already own it). And since WGHP is my preferred local (for local news), this is why I have been attempting to resolve this reception problem with this station. Obviously, the advantage of the C4 is the fact that it is smaller than the DB8e; and I do have the ability to aim it in any direction I want...so I will continue to use the C4 for one of my receivers. I just need to find a good place for it (up high--and preferably in the attic). Currently, there is no preamp on the C4 and it remains at a lower level in the house.

As for my TiVo, it does have a signal meter on it, which is great when trying to optimize location of an antenna. But I am not aware of it having any other advanced features such as a SNR or diagnostic error readings for OTA.

If relocation of my C4 becomes a problem, I could throw a preamp on it to see if it will resolve the issues on WGHP (as I mentioned at the beginning of this post). However, my understanding of preamps is that they are only really an advantage in cases of long cable runs or where a single antenna stream is split off for multiple TV receivers. And since I am not currently trying to split anything at this time, I don't know if that is a viable solution. And thus, the whole point of this thread about moving my C4 up to the attic. I appreciate the replies here.

Last edited by scott784; 8-Nov-2015 at 5:08 AM.
scott784 is offline   Reply With Quote