View Single Post
Old 13-Apr-2013, 8:45 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Quote:
2. The perimeter of our 2 acre property is surrounded by single depth Eucalyptus Trees, which are in the range of 40 - 60 ft tall. We have lots of 20 to 30 feet trees due west of our home. There are no towers to my knowledge West of my location. The towers are East and slightly South of our home and additional towers are North going slightly west.
Can you locate an antenna so that it does not aim through any trees? Ideally, when looking both east and northwest through north. (This helps answer your next question... and affects the antenna type I'd suggest.)

re. #4, A SWM is very likely a switch matrix. If so, it will be of no use in an OTA antenna system. The cables are no doubt RG-6 Quad-Shield, and are often the only components of a serviceable satellite system that you can be certain will be compatible for use in an OTA antenna system.

re. #5, The splitter under the house should be useable if it's simply a passive 2-way splitter. A make and model number would be useful.

Quote:
1. Should I purchase an amplifier with whatever antenna is chosen or recommend? Or should I just start with the antenna?

2. I'm confused about the use of an Antenna Amplifier vs. a Pre-Amp, I think the Pre-Amp installs close to the Antenna, but requires I have a power source, at or near the antenna location. I do have a power outlet on the exterior wall of the house but the travel distance to the outlet would be from the roof ridge down the roof, then down the wall to the plug estimate 24 ft. If an amplifier is needed I understand it is closer to the TV so its power source is not an issue? Do both of these devices accomplish the same thing?
I would try this with no amplifier. If one is needed, you're approaching a point were many preamplifiers designed for weak signal applications would be at risk of overload. (Preamplifiers are almost always powered by a power supply in the building... with power sent up the coax to the preamp unit at the antenna. It's very rare to need power at the antenna.) In this case, if an amplifier is proven necessary, I would opt for a distribution amplifier located indoors (provided the run from the antenna to the DA is no more than 50' of coax).

If you research a bit more re. the CS5, you find that rather by luck or accident, it is an effective UHF antenna in some situations. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1128 Both Antennas Direct and Winegard have earned reputations for building reliable and durable products. Before I recommend one or the other, I'd like to know how much trouble the trees are going to cause.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote