View Single Post
Old 15-Dec-2009, 2:44 PM   #6
herplace

Hello again Andy, and hello to you also Tower Guy!
Thank you very much for this exhaustive pursuit and solution path for what is my problem with my T.V. reception. Getting some RG-6 into the run was actually my first intention because I think there was some around here somewhere. It was left over from those expansive and often forgetful cable guys everywhere days. What I found was this thin stuff (about as thin as a typical chopstick) on a spool instead, but I still think there is some of the stuff that looks thicker also on a spool. Stupid questions: Could one use multiple runs of the thinner stuff and bring them together at each end and create a monster cable that way. And also is -incredibly more- better? Like that stuff that is as thick as a finger?
I was prepared to try a run from the roof as an experiment but that was before the ice season complicated the idea. Its funny now that this project has me thinking, I'm paying more attention to other antennas in locations I've noticed in my wanderings. Coming up to speed is kind of fun. I'll try to check on a few more details like what I'll call the "wingspread" of my attic antenna and explore just how much larger an antenna might be positioned there. I'm reluctant to really commit to the above roof solution because in addition to the weather issues mentioned I believe wind would be the most disrupting of factors here. Every once in a while there are these rogue wind bursts which can really cause havoc.
Reaching out into the farthest of possible dream set ups, if I may pose a hypothetical impractical solution question please: I have a high hill behind the house where line of sight might really be unobstructed. It is quite a hike but from the highest spot if an antenna station could be positioned perhaps in a storm proof non interfering shelter of some kind. Are there feasible options to get a signal down to the house. I know, I know. All that trouble for just a few commercial stations. But in fantasy mode I could see pulling in PBS from the north east and possibly more from there with the highest gain system assembled. Since Pre-amp seem to be required for extensive runs from any distant antenna, I would expect power might be an issue. I have some solar smarts so I think I could handle that. But I also recognize the obvious constraints of a wire run that far. The cost benefit definitely keeps this in a dream state but I was just wondering. Could there be a wireless solution from there to the house?
I also still don't quite get why NBC is dominating the spectrum. Why would the signal be any weaker from CBS assuming it's the same transmitter location. What am I missing here?
Thanks again for your attention to this situation!
HP
P.S. Is the horizontal boom the part of the antenna that should be pointed at the transmitter direction. Is there a tutorial on compass points for this effort. If NBC is so "there" why can't I assume the sweet spot is already right on?

Last edited by herplace; 15-Dec-2009 at 3:04 PM. Reason: more questions
herplace is offline   Reply With Quote