View Single Post
Old 25-Apr-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
kb2fzq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Girl View Post
My husband says we have a long range UHF/VHF antenna, and then another UHF antenna that does channels 11 and up. We got the atenuator last year at the switchover because KXAS 5 suggested we do so because other channels were bleeding into channel 5.....
I would start by asking how you have the 2 antennas connected to each other? How far apart are they in the attic? Do you have round coaxial cable running into the house or the flat type cable? If you are using the flat type cable, I would switch to the 75 ohm coaxial cable, we can explain the connections. Being KXAS 5 is the subject of concern, I would try to use your VHF/UHF antenna connected by itself to the cable coming to the TV, WITHOUT the attenuator, to just one TV, assuring you are pointed at the KXAS transmitter and see if you can rescan and pull in KXAS reliably...which is actually transmitting on the radio frequency for TV channel 41, a UHF signal. The word "bleeding" suggests to me that the attenuator may have been needed when KXAS was actually transmitting in analog on the VHF-lo radio frequency for channel 5, which is subject to just about any kind of radio interference, but now may be hurting the UHF digital signal, but you say it was after the switch. What channels were bleeding over and what was the problem the bleed was causing? Is there any numbers on the attenuator that identifies what frequency(s) it is actually attenuating? Anything in line in the cable will cause a weaker signal at the TV. As much of a pain it might be, you may have to take baby steps and reconstruct your setup for the digital age to get all the channels. Digital is MUCH different then analog was. And very finicky.
Oh, just as an info blip, a UHF antenna should receive channels 14 thru 69...channels 11, 12 and 13 are VHF-hi channels....so there is some confusion here as to what that "UHF" antenna is really designed to receive.
Let us know how you make out...
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote