View Single Post
Old 15-Nov-2013, 3:35 PM   #20
StephanieS

Update

Since this has been an ongoing learning experience, I thought I'd share the latest with my setup.

In September, I decided that I would try two things. The first, remove the 12' jumper from the 91xg to the preamp and replace it with a 6' jumper.

Second, I would put an RCA preamp on the ANT751.

The results surprised me. With the 6' jumper in place on the 91xg, KLEW RF 22 lost substantial signal. It was so bad, the second TV couldn't lock on it 95% of the time. As where with the 12' jumper it was 98% solid. The first TV was struggling to get program details from the menu, it would often say "dtv program" but was more stable with KLEW than the second TV. Wednesday I removed the 6' jumper from the antenna to the preamp and replaced it with the 12' jumper. I also replaced the original 100' drop of RG-6 with fresh 100' drop of RG-6 from Solid Signal. KLEW is back rock solid with a gain of perhaps 15% signal. Program data on the menu is also fully detailed with what programming is on.

Interesting that the length of coax affected KLEW's reception so much. For the record, I also tried other 6' jumpers. Same result. Thus, I am comfortable saying the jumper wasn't bad that was in service.

Putting an RCA Preamp on the ANT751 backfired. As of now, the ANT751 (and the 91xg) is pushing signal down 150' of coax and passing through an A/B switch (91XG and ANT751 have separate leads, thus the A/B switch) and then a coax splitter. I wanted to see if I could push a little more signal down the coax on the little antenna. The results were K23HT-D vanished. Likely overloading is my first thought. KQUP RF 24 which I have LOS, hits me with a signal strength of 95 or better without the preamp on the ANT751.

As such, I removed the RCA preamp and now the ANT751 just puts its signal down the coax with no preamp. It still does good. K23HT-D locks in again without breakup, but is down in the low to mid 40s with its "signal strength" on the second TV. The 91xg by comparison, K23HT-D is in the mid 50s on "signal strength" on the same TV.

Other random observations: returning the 91xg to the 12' jumper yielded a subtle change from the last time it had the 12' jumper in place. KXLY RF 13 and it's repeater, KXMN RF 9 are flakey while KSKN RF 22 is solid. Last time, the result was flipped. I did do a slight re-aiming to point dead on at KLEW. I'm surprised the 91XG even grabs any VHF, or the signals off the side. However, my thought is I see them because the signals are so strong - especially the UHF stuff @ 15 miles.

The set up is ready to ride into winter and we'll see how it does. If I have switch to the ANT751 to watch KXLY, that's no biggie. That's why I left that antenna in service. It's job is the local VHF/UHF stuff. The 91XG's job is KLEW.

I've wanted to test the 91xg on KCDT (-4.3db) and K49JD-D (-6 db). Too bad I really can't. If I were to try, I'd be putting the yagi not far off of main clusters of signals serving Spokane. All that gain on signals hitting me at 65 db? Probably not the best idea. Pretty good recipe for overload...

SS
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote