View Single Post
Old 22-Dec-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
DEDon

Questions about PreAmps and Signal Amps while a waiting new antenna arrival

Although I've been around for a while, I've never attempted OTA reception until recently.
Like many others, I'm fed up with Cable Rates and, since I'm now forced into "retirement" by the economy (I did interior painting and Wallpaper installation and removal) and with Rates going up like they are, I am going to suffer the loss of watching Philadelphia Phillies (my passion) and I am going to OTA reception. I love the clarity!

Here is my Channel Analysis Chart:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...40330a07346c5a

I made a temporary antenna and just have a quad sheilded cable running from it down the roof and into a window in my room with the big screen TV, right now. No pre-amp.

I u-bolted it to the j-mount from an old DirTV dish that I removed. If you soom in, you can see the old DirTV dish sitting on the north end of the roof if you use these co-ordinates:39.714037,-75.662016 It sits just above my second story peak on the N end of the roof but, the line-of-site isn't the best, pointing NE towards the Philly stations because of a line of 45-50 foot spruce tree that are two properties N of me. The trees extend to the E and end at the left edge of my line-of-site, NE of the current mast position on my roof.

I have to take a picture of my current antenna and post it but, I used #8 solid bare copper wire, purchased at H.D. and and fashioned the elements in a Hooverman antenna configuration something like this
http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/index.htm
but instead of the horizontal reflector elements, I just used a 1/4" screen which I know won't work in snowy weather. It was an experiment and I get 3-1, 6-1 (-2&-3), 10-1(-2,-3). 12-1,-2,-3 and 17-1, and 23-1 are all too weak to lock. I wonder if a pre-amp will help. I'm going get back up there and make a minor adjustment, today. 29-1 (FOX) is also too weak to lock. I do get 57-1 and 61-1 as well as 48-1,-2,-3, and -4.

Does a pre-amp have electric powering it? Is there a difference between a pre-amp and a power booster? I'm a bit confused about that.

Yesterday, I "bit the bullet" and I ordered this stuff:
1 of WINEGARD TB-0005 5-Feet Swedged Masting Antenna Mount
1 of EAGLE ASPEN 500065 SINGLE WIRE ANTENNA ROTATOR
1 of Winegard HD7698P HDTV High Band VHF-UHF Antenna

I would like to use the J-mount that I have the home-made antenna attached to. I want to eventually move it down to the south end of the roof so that I can miss those trees when I point the antenna towards the 55-57 degree plain. I realize that I am going to have to deal with grounding issues and the slitters for the other rooms in the house are in the basement on the N side of the house, where the j-mount is, now. but, I have to deal with this line-of-sight issue.

Am I after a signal booster or a preamp to increase the signal to my TV or is there nothing else that I can do but await the arrival of my new TV?

Thanks for any advice.

Has anyone attached a rotor to one of them?
That's my game plan.
Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

I didn't want to go over a hundred for an antenna. This stuff is "breaking the bank", already for me. SS doesn't go very far, trust me on that one.
Attached Images
File Type: png DonsSignalAnalysis.png (69.3 KB, 1404 views)
Viewsonics VSMA 601C-10R Amp
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
DEDon is offline   Reply With Quote