View Single Post
Old 1-Feb-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Hamilton Ham

Change cable lengths-channels disappear

I finally got around to cleaning up the rats-nest of cables, A-B switches, splitters, pre-amps etc...After the cleanup, which essentially consisted of shortening up the cabling interconnecting the various components mentioned above, one or two channels would disappear from one TV, different channels would disappear from another TV etc. I feed 4 TV’s from the antenna “farm”. The TV closest to the “wiring jungle” suffered the most loss. I was trying to replace 3 or 4 foot cables with shorter ones of about 6 inches to a foot in length. After endless trips up and down the stairs, I ended up with the cabling lengths that I started with. It was the only way I could get all channels on all TV’s at the same time. My question is, what’s going on here? Why does the length of the interconnecting cables affect the channels received? Is this some kind of SWR issue? Any clues as to what I should be looking for? The most troubling thing is that maybe in the past when I was chasing those elusive channels, maybe all I had to do was change the length of some cable somewhere! I wonder if some of those common problems with missing channels that so many others have reported, could be solved with cable length changes. Any comments or advise would be appreciated.
Hamilton Ham is offline   Reply With Quote