View Single Post
Old 10-Aug-2020, 6:09 PM   #1
Sev

Arrow Televes DATBoss Mix LR VS the Winegard 8200U + AP-8700 Preamp.

I am currently testing the Televes DATBoss MIX LR.
I am looking at this from the consumer perspective. Not the wild eye hobbyist. Which many of us are.
Now I under stand that there is some contention concerning how Televes arrives at its numbers.
That argument is nothing new concerning any antenna manufacturer past or present.

I would also point out we are beyond the days of the Quantum twin booms and Wade VIp's where materials and material costs are concerned.
Few if any are going to be willing to pay Blonder Tongue prices for a residential antenna when most people today mistakenly believe those silly mud flaps they stick on their wall are excellent antennas.

So with that in mind.

Assembly was easy.
Over all structurally is fairly solid. I noted a couple of mild structural issues that could be addressed with tighter tolerances where the upper and lower booms are concerned.
However most home owners would not even take notice of it.
Otherwise the over all design is pretty innovative and once assembled completely pretty solid over all.
The DATBoss comes with an integrated amplifier. That automatically adjust the gain to appropriate levels so as to avoid a situation that creates overloading.

My first run testing was with my local transmitters. That range from 4.9 and 6.9 miles out.
The topography is steep with intervening mountain ranges.
All the transmitters are 1 and 2 edge.

The second test run will be with my fringe transmitters out to 120 miles.
The First series of test against my Winegard 8200U with a Winegard AP-8700 Preamplifier.

The antennas are the same location and same height. I will lose a little time swapping out masts. It is unavoidable.
The DAT does not have VHF LO capability so any VHF LO Transmitters will no be included.
The Spectrometer I will be using is a Televes H30D3.
I will not be able to provide band scans or overlays with the device.
It will be individual reading per transmitter.

I have not made offsets for any loss in either the coax or the Winegard LS 275C splitter that is feeding the spectrometer and the HDHomerun.

Most will recognize the traces generated by Rabbitears. .

A couple images to provide a base line of information.

At 60 Degrees
RF28

RF9

255 Degrees

Hope fully I will not be creating to much confusion.
In the first series photos are the Rabbitears trace generated.
The traces are devided by where I swapped antennas.
8200U data is on the left. DAT Data is on the right.
Please note the CNR line.

The date on this Data is 8-6-2020
Antenna Aim is at 60 degrees

RF9

RF14

RF16

RF28

RF35

From the Spectrometer.
I left RF16 because I missed saving one of the readings.

8200U

Last edited by Sev; 22-Aug-2020 at 8:43 PM.
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote