View Single Post
Old 26-Nov-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
Vert

Planning setup - need for VFH antenna and which UHF antenna

Hi,

First I think this forum and site is fantastic and is just the resource needed to help those getting back on OTA signals instead of cable or satellite.

My tvfool report.

Given the height of the building I’m in I very much prefer for this to be mounted in the attic, even though there will be some signal loss and I’m hoping it isn’t going to be too bad. Estimated height to attic is 40’.

I happen to be able to with a friends Antennas Direct ClearStream4 in the location just below where I hope to mount it in the attic and noted the following on the channels:

When pointing the antenna to the 168 degree mark

VHF
WMUR (9.x) hardly ever comes in

UHF
WGBH (2.x) comes in very reliably
WBZ (4.x) hardly comes in
WCVB (5.x) has a very strong signal and always comes in clear
WHDH (7.x) hardly ever comes in
WBPX comes in very reliably
WFXT hardly comes in

Please keep in mind I am rigging this in less than ideal conditions during these tests. The only VHF channel I am interested in is WMUR and all of the UHF channels are coming out of the same direction, ~168 degrees.

My layout is to hook up two tv’s and the run would be:

Antenna -> Splitter (2 way) -> 1) bedroom 2) basement -> splitter (2 way) -> Living room

Come to think of it rather than an additional splitter I could use a coupler

My questions are
1) Should is use a direction specific UHF antenna such as a Antennas Direct DB8 or one with a wider field like the DB4E?
2) Since I sometimes get in the VHF channel with the ClearChannel4 is there some hope that one of the mentioned antennas (or another) could pick up on that signal without a specific VHF antenna? If not, is there a recommendation to which one should be used in this scenario?
3) Is a pre-amp needed because of the splitter involved?

If I missed any info that’s needed just let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by Vert; 26-Nov-2012 at 3:30 PM. Reason: Updated report url
Vert is offline   Reply With Quote