View Single Post
Old 12-Apr-2014, 2:31 PM   #9
packhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
My experience with the HDHR tuner has been that a signal quality level below 60% is likely to have enough errors to be troublesome when recording. Stable quality at 70% or higher usually translates to near perfect viewing and recording.

The signal strength indication can be helpful as you're aiming the antenna initially.
Yep, that's been my experience. I do have the newer HDHR Plus with their new tuner, which seems to pick up stuff very nicely. But it does get picky it seems if I get under 60%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
For what it's worth, the antenna has no awareness of the modulation type. There is no such thing as a 'digital' antenna. You can use a 30 year old antenna to receive the new signal format if it's still in good condition and covers the bands used by the current broadcasters. (UHF is the most common choice, but as in your case, there are plenty of DTV stations on VHF, both high band and low band.)

I realize there isn't a "digital" antenna; I'm more referring to just the size of it. The elements must be about 1 1/2 or 2 feet in each direction from the center of the antenna. It makes it super difficult to get in the right spot in the relatively tight spaces between the trusses. I wouldn't be opposed to the HBU-55, especially if it will pick up the channels I'm wanting. I only have one channel in the VHF range I care about -- real channel 12 out of Chicago, nor do I care about the South Bend stations. I only need to pickup the main stations out of Chicago, which is why I had looked at the bowtie -- because of the ability to install it in the attic and it's ability to pickup all the UHF channels I want and hopefully the one VHF (real channel 12) I want.

Do you have a recommendation for a mount/mast to use to attach the HBU-55 in the attic to some trusses? I would need a mount that could come out either at an angle (45 or so) from the mount, or at a 90, run a foot or so away from the mount, and then take a turn up to hang the antenna (if that makes any sense at all.. )
packhead is offline   Reply With Quote