View Single Post
Old 4-Mar-2014, 5:03 AM   #1
Falconers

Antenna Advice for Foothills east of Sacramento (Cameron Park)

I’ve already ditched Dish and have been living without OTA for a year mostly streaming content on AppleTV with Netflix & Hulu, but I’m missing stuff on my local broadcast like the news & sports.

I’d like to get recommendations for the right equipment and avoid things that won’t work. I’d rather learn from your experience.

Please recommend for the following location:

TV Fool Reports

Height: 10 ft - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b943a7633c493
Height: 20 ft - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9457be2d1870
Height: 25 feet - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9462f34f9797

There are no blocking trees around me and all the stations I care about are to the SW (~210 degrees magnetic). The trees that are on the ground tend to be oaks, pines, and various deciduous trees, but none are blocking except that on terrain.

Additional Info

A. One TV with no splitters to a Tivo
B. Cable run is no more than 50’ of coax.
C. Clear view with nothing in the way for a couple miles (see picture below), then terrain blocks the way towards the Sacramento towers.
D. House has a hip roof (no gable ends)
with metal rain gutter around the whole house
E. Channels we would like to get are listed below:

KVIE-DT - PBS - Ch 9
KXTV - ABC - Ch 10
KMAX-TV - CW - Ch 21
KOVR - CBS - Ch 25
KCRA-DT - NBC - Ch 35
KTXL-DT - Fox - Ch 40

It looks like I should aim the antenna at about 210 degrees magnetic (yes, with a real compass, not my iPhone :-D

F. Prioritized/Preferred List of Mounting Locations

1. Exterior Wall - In a perfect world, I’d like to mount the antenna to the old Dish mount or something similar on the SSW wall. I think the issue would be that pointing it toward 210 degrees would limit the length to something like an HBU11k/RCA ANT751R. I’m guessing that’s those don't provide enough gain. It is 16’ from the ground to the bottom of the rain gutter, so I could mount it reasonably high at about 13’ and be clear enough of the rain gutter.

2. Attic - Second choice would be to mount the antenna in the attic. My attic is large and about 11’ tall , but room to maneuver a large antenna, but I realize after reviewing posts that there are frequent issues getting good signals in an attic and being inside it’ll get even more noise. This would easily be 20’ high.

3. Roof - If I need to mount it on the roof, I’m guessing I could do a tripod. I was thinking a Ronard Ronnie 5 (or Ronnie 10 that I cut a couple feet off). There is clear line-of-sight on the roof towards 210 degrees, so I wouldn’t think it would need to be above the peak of the roof. This would be about 25’ high. I'm guessing I really need to do this, but need validation that it's not doable the other ways to prevent marital strife.

PICTURE - Here is a picture that was taken about 12’ high in the direction of about 210 degrees magnetic.

Falconers is offline   Reply With Quote