View Single Post
Old 31-Mar-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Kool-Aid
The guy with lots of ?s

Help with reception - Near Gresham, WI

Hello

Like so many on here, I have an antenna question.

To start, here is my TV Fool results

TV Fool

The surrounding area has tall trees (50' +). This is where I have my camper (permanent site) and I am unable to put up any type of tower. The antenna(s) will have to be mounted to the surrounding trees.

That being said, here are my goals (wants and needs):
NEEDS
Callsign Net Real Virt Subs
***** WAUSAU *****
WSAW CBS 7 7.1 7.2 (MY) 7.3 (WEATHER)
WAOW ABC 9 9.1 9.2 (CW+) 9.3 (This TV)
WFXS FOX 31 55.1 55.2 (Me-TV) 55.3 (RTV)
***** GREEN BAY *****
WLUK FOX 11 11.1
WCFW CW 21 14.1
WBAY ABC 23 2.1 2.2 (WEATHER) 2.3 (LIVEWELL)
WACY MY 27 32.1
WFRV CBS 39 5.1
WGBA NBC 41 26.1 26.1 (Me-TV)
***** EITHER OR *****
WHRM (WAU) PBS 24 20.1 20.2 (WI) 20.3 (CREATE)
WPNE (GRB) PBS 42 38.1 38.2 (WI) 20.3 (CREATE)

WANTS
wTPX ION 46 46.1 46.2 (QUBO) 46.3 (ION Life)
WJFW NBC 16 12.1 12.2 (ANTENNA TV)

** I know these are listed on the Tv Fool plot, but just to give anyone an idea what I'm actually looking to accomplish.

SETUP
Currently I am using the factory antenna - Winegard Sensar III - I added the wingman. The cable comes into the camper and goes through the built-in factory amp (unknown make / model). There are three separate jacks (two bedrooms and the livingroom).

PROBLEMS
The Sensar III works OK between 6p-9a (I understand signals are more difficult to get during the day). I can usually get most of the Green Bay stations on the livingroom tv (30% - 40% which is fine w/o drop-outs) during that time period. During the day, I may get one station at about 20%.

The Wausau market is at 270 degrees (WSAW & WAOW) - 286 degrees (WFXS & WTPX)
The Green Bay market is 132 degrees - 136 degrees
WJFW (while part of the Wausau market) is located in Rhinelander @ 338 degrees.

My inlaws (who are not technology savvy - to say the least), will be using the camper periodically. I do not want to use an A-B switch. I also do not want to use a rotor.

MY QUESTIONS ON A SOLUTION
--- Can I use two separate UHF antennas? I've been doing a lot of reading and some people say yes, some say no.
----- If using two separate UHF antennas, I looked at incorporating a Winegard CC-7870 to combine the two UHF antennas. Has anyone used this?

--- Based on the TV Fool results, would I be better using a UVSJ to combine the UHF and VHF lines, or should I go with a pre-amp?
----- If a pre-amp is recommended, should I use a medium range one (CM 7778 or equivalent) or a long range one (CM 7777 or equivalent)?

--- Am I better off with two VHF/UHF combo antennas (one at each market).

MY THOUGHTS ON A SOLUTION
- (2) UHF antennas (one toward Wausau and one toward Green Bay)
-- Antennas Direct db4e (or equivalent)

- CC-7870

- VHF Antenna (toward Wausau)
-- Antennacraft Y5-7-13

- CM 7777

- RG6 Cable into camper

- Bypass built-in amp in camper

FINAL THOUGHTS
I lived in one of the cities for 25+ years and now I live in the other. I know it seems kind of silly to want both markets;

however, the Wausau market (about ~60 DMA's smaller) has more variety and I like to keep up on the local news from both.

I know WTPX (ION) is a long-shot; however, I thought if I am pointing an antenna toward the WFXS (FOX) tower - same tower, I might have a shot.

I know WJFW (NBC) is even a longer-shot; however, I thought maybe the back-side of antenna that is pointed toward Green Bay may catch WJFW.

I do not want to go to extreme lengths to get WTPX or WJFW, my only thought is if a system could be built around them. My main goal is reliable reception from both markets (my needs list) at any time of the day.

I hope someone can recommend a solution. Please also recommend antennas and pre-amps (if necessary).

Thank you in advance.
Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote