View Single Post
Old 14-Sep-2010, 3:57 PM   #1
geobrick

Help with channels 7 and 36 in LA

I'm getting every channel emanating from Mt Wilson in Los Angeles except for channels 36 (KNBC) and 7 (KABC) which are marginal.

I'm doing this with an attic mounted antenna because of home owner association restrictions. The antenna is a 10 year old radio shack VHF/FM/UHF model that's about 101" long. I don’t know the model #. I also added a CM-7777 pre-amp to help with the cable runs and splitter downstream. With the amp, I got a few more channels. I'm 52 miles away and according to the report below, I'm at 1edge for most of the channels.

The TV fool report is here:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a36269f1ab38e5

Before I invest a lot more time and money, I wanted to make sure the signal was getting into the attic. I confirmed I can get KABC (real channel 7) but it’s more consistent at night. KNBC (real channel 36) was more difficult but I finally got a signal. It drifts in and out randomly (stays for several minutes and cuts out for several minutes). All the other Los Angeles stations seem to work fine. I’m even getting the Santa Barbara channels when the antenna is pointed east towards LA even though the signals are 210 degrees apart and they’re 60 miles away (but they’re LOS).

I have easy access to the east side of the attic (it’s a wall not a roof when pointing east). Among the typical attic problems are a cement tile roof and a stucco wall (I assume with a 1”x1” or so metal mesh in one of the stucco layers. Even so, I still get every channel except the two mentioned.

I’m considering the following and would appreciate any opinions or other solutions. 1) I can replace my existing antenna with a Winegard 7697P or 2) get an CM 4228HD and combine it through the CM7777 with my existing antenna.

Any thoughts?
geobrick is offline   Reply With Quote