Thread: 91 XG Modified
View Single Post
Old 13-Jun-2020, 12:42 AM   #23
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

The "Less Loss" harness begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripelo View Post
There is no absolute limit relative to length. Probably way down the coax would have little effect. You will be limited by the length of coax to your preamplifier.

Two ferrites, next to the junction and two ferrites centered over the 5.5 inch mark should be fine. That would mean the edge of one ferrite on the antenna side of a 5.5 inch mark and another one next to it down the coax.

Yes, assuming your cable to preamp is 15 inches in length, or longer.

If you use four ferrites. Place two near the junction close together. Place the other two centered around 15 inches down the cable.

If you use three, then place two at the junction and one at 15 inches.

With calculations or computer simulations one could obtain an estimate of the available improvement, or indirectly measure it on a test bench.

After two or three ferrite cores on a cable, likely the signal strength improvement available with more ferrite is in the low tenths of a dB range.

Tripelo,

Wow ! OK, I have to say I am pretty fired up!

My ADD (Antenna Distraction Disorder) is kicking in.

You have made it very clear for me- a novice. This will help others too I'm sure, if they take the time to read it.

Oh, the twists in the twin Lead, Sev was telling me, it's up to me how many twists, just make sure they are the same amount per side. That may be the trickiest part.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote