View Single Post
Old 12-Jan-2011, 2:20 AM   #5
scott784

Thanks again for your reply. I don't know all the technological aspects of wired versus wireless. However, the feedback you have given has confirmed my suspicisions. That is, that highspeed wireless internet is still prone to more errors when streaming video. For that reason, as you suggested, I may be better off moving my cable modem into the living room next to my main television and just making my desktop computer wireless from the other room.

You are lucky to have a home which is fully wired with cat5 for networking. My stepdad wired his entire home with cat5 back in 2002. And although wireless has came a long way since then, he still has no regrets in going with hard wire throughout his house. On the other hand, my home is a story and a half (which is also on a concrete slab). So in my case, I'll never be able to network via cat5 (hard wired) throughout the house.

In any case, I will follow your suggestion and move the cable modem to my living room where my main television is. Yes, my Samsung has an ethernet port so I can at least hard wire that to the cable modem once I move the modem next to it. I'll just have to buy a wireless router so that I will still have internet access with my desktop computer from another room.

Last edited by scott784; 12-Jan-2011 at 2:23 AM.
scott784 is offline   Reply With Quote