View Single Post
Old 26-Oct-2013, 3:01 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

RG-6 has less loss at VHF frequencies than UHF frequencies

To your original question, "Would an amp help? ...", It's possible, but by itself, not likely. I think you need to consider using an antenna with greater gain at VHF frequencies and, I suspect there is more UHF reception to be had if you increase the gain in that band also.

The job of the antenna is to collect enough signal power from the air to ensure reliable reception. The job of an amplifier is to 'push' signal through loss in cable and splitters down stream of the amplifier. No amplifier has the ability to 'pull' signal from the air, antenna or coax. If you have only one TV connected and there is no more than 50' of coax between the antenna and TV, it's not likely that you would see much if any improvement with the addition of an amplifier.

Your post suggests you are getting acceptable reception of some UHF signals... true? If so, one would expect VHF signals to be able to make it to the TV tuner, with less attenuation (RG-6 coax has roughly twice as much loss at UHF frequencies as VHF frequencies)... IF the antenna was receiving a viable copy of the signals.

I would have no qualms about suggesting a much higher performance system. The CM-5016 suggested by teleview is a valid solution. I would suggest an Antennas Direct DB8e + Antennacraft Y10713 + RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier. If you have any interest in the programing on real CH-2 though CH-6 in the area, I would select a separate L-VHF antenna that could be aimed as needed. (It can be combined with the other antennas into a single down-lead.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote