View Single Post
Old 22-Apr-2020, 9:57 PM   #23
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
You might want to use a Yagi calculator such as the one below to give you some ideas. Normally each director (also known as parasitic) element of a Yagi antenna will decrease in length the further it is from the driven element. They will also get further apart as the distance from the driven element increases. If you are looking for an antenna specifically for RF 8, try modeling a 17 element yagi at 183 MHz using the calculator and compare the results to what you have.
https://www.changpuak.ch/electronics...enna_DL6WU.php
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the information.

Not specifically RF 8 that I'm after, it's just a transmitter I am using to measure my results. One reason is it is at least 49 miles away and makes it a far enough target. I could turn the antenna around and check RF12 also, but for now I like RF 8 because soon trees will leaf out in the path of RF12 and would destroy my baselines. I will test RF 12 soon enough though. before the leaves!

I don't know how to use the modeling software, I hear it is extremely tedious. I'm willing to learn it but I may have to do it later. I am hoping to find that someone has already tried this. I sent Holl_ands a PM but no reply. He has done the modeling but no mods so far that I know of.

What you did say was the director should begin to taper down and the spacing should widen. That is also of interest to me.

I did go to the link you sent, The picture show something similar to mine actually with some broken elements. The calculator is there, and although I can change the # of elements, parasitic elements and diameter of the boom, I click on "Show me the details" The boom should be 7.29 meters ! 14.20dB of gain. Nice.

Can I choose the length of boom I want? And then build it from there?

Some other questions.

What is an isolated Element?

Reflector? What to do with that?

Would I change my Dipole dimensions?

BTW, 26' 7" for a 17 element at 183 MHz whoa!

Last edited by bobsgarage; 22-Apr-2020 at 11:00 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote