Thread: Rotor power
View Single Post
Old 15-Jan-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
serengety

Rotor power

Hi everyone.
I am desperately trying to find out how strong a rotor I need for my new antenna. I replaced the old, badly bent one, with a new Winegard HD7698P. (Its specs are 15.8ft. by 13in. and 13.6 pounds.) But when I did, my old rotor went kaput. It has been suggested to me that it was because my new antenna was bigger (it isn't really, it IS longer but it is also much narrower) but it is POSSIBLE that the greater length somehow puts greater strain on the rotor. I tend to think it might have more to do with the ancientness of the rotor. My aunt had it for a while before she decided to go to cable and gave it to me and I had it for years and years. The poor old thing had to be AT LEAST twenty years old and could well have been quite a bit older. It was so old it didn't even have remote capability. My aunt had gotten it from Sears so it might have been one of their brands, Craftsman or Kenmore, but I would have to get up on the roof to find out and since I have been having bouts of dizziness lately, that would not be a really good idea.

I know I could go for one of the heavy duty ones and call it good, but I really can't afford to get a $300 rotor unless I have to. (Well, actually, not even then. If that is what it would take, then I'll just have to settle for half what I should be getting.)

So, do any of you know what type of rotor it would take to reliably move a 13.6 pound antenna with a ten foot mast? The information would be much appreciated.
serengety is offline   Reply With Quote