View Single Post
Old 11-Jul-2014, 6:58 PM   #9
stvcmty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvcmty View Post
I would get a new cable with ends already on it, such as a 50’ length from monoprice. I would then run it directly from the antenna through an open door or window directly to a TV, with nothing between the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Again, what is the history of the coax you're using?
There is a reason we are focusing on the coax. When you say
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv454481 View Post
I ran the new mediabridge RG6 direct from the out on the DB8E and into the Samsung TV and was able to pick up the same four I previously had..
But in a previous post you said the media bridge cable may have made things worse, the cable is suspect.
Where did you get the media bridge cable and how much did you pay for it? I have seen “premium” cables have kinks in the coax out of the package that will best case mess up the impedance and worst case short the center conductor to the shield.

When I get a new coax cable from monoprice it tends to have a memory of the coil it was packaged in. Through the whole process I am careful not to kink/too tightly bend the cable. I slowly unwrap it letting it keep its coil. Then I grab it at one end and pull it through my other hand, which relaxes the coil it wants to keep. I do this several times until it wants to sit in a 3-4’ diameter coil. Then I run it from one end of my basement to the other and let it just lay there so it can relax. The whole time I am extremely careful about kinks. Basically, if a piece of RG6 coax gets a kink/too tight of a bend in it, it is probably ruined. All you can do is cut on either side of the kink and put ends on it. As soon as coax gets a kink in it, the kinked section is suspect.

The results you describe don’t seem to match what is expected with the antenna you have and the tv fool report you posted. You could go to rabbit ears and generate a reception list and see if any of the dbm’s are vastly different; then a modeling issue may be coming into play. There may be obstructions between your antenna and the transmitters causing your results to be off from what is expected, but in the absence of more information, the coax is the easiest thing to start with changing.
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote