View Single Post
Old 1-Nov-2015, 1:04 PM   #5
themanuel

Thank you for your feedback, skatingrocker17 and it's good to hear from a fellow Cantonian.

I ended up ordering the Channel Master antenna and expect to receive it by Wednesday. In the meantime, I'm setting things up in the attic. I'm reusing an old RG-6 coaxial run that went to a satellite dish the previous home owners left behind. All I have to do is re-route the last few feet to go into my attic instead of the dish. It so happens that the dish was in the north east corner of the hosue which is the direction from which I'm getting most channels.

From my perspective, since most sub-channels are not that good, I'll be happy if the antenna will allow me to get all the important HD ones with a robust signal. Last week there were a few days with bad weather and strong winds where my little DIY antenna struggled and most channels were sputtering every several seconds. I hope the new antenna helps with that allows me to get CBC (at least in time for the Olympics )

I also approximately calculated the run length and longest distance from the antenna to a TV set will be about 80 feet. So far I only plan to use one 2-way splitter. This is the part that concerns me, whether some of the signals I get now will be too attenuated but I'll have to wait and see which, if any channels I care about will degrade. For testing purposes, I'll test the antenna closer to the TV first and note channels and signal strenghts. Worst case, I'll try a signal amplifier on the antenna side.

I'll post the outcome when get the antenna and install it.

Best regards,

Manuel
themanuel is offline   Reply With Quote