View Single Post
Old 18-Dec-2009, 3:30 PM   #13
herplace

Greetings Andy!
I made a previous reply that I think got lost before I could send it. T.V. reception is not the only technical challenge around here.
That single line:
"Low frequency means long wavelengths and this requires long antenna elements."
Is highly instructive!
I think I'm getting this! I can't use my own words to describe how I know this yet. In my life I've heard some of the theory you seem to have such a formidable grasp of so something clicked when I read that from you! Thanks!
Step by step I'll tackle these options in some way and post some reports as results are realized. Depending on some of the available products (long range implementation here) I'm thinking of trying a bigger (longer antenna element option) in a placement closer to the floor of the attic to see if despite a few feet of elevation being sacrificed all things not being equal the stealth option could work there. How the existing envelope impacts this placement is not understood exactly of course. What I am now wondering about this is whether I could enclose the area above the antenna so there could be sort of a floor over it. Shelf like. I can only imagine that the transmitter direction end would have to be clear and open to what an antenna without a floor over it would present to the situation. Am I guessing wrong about this? Does the "signal" need more than this to be picked up by an antenna? If not, do I have any strong restraints to guide what this shelf could be made of ? I think it could protect a bigger antenna closer to the floor joists and that would give back some of the space up there for movement and access to storage areas the present set up just rules out. If the elevation loss is trivial then cable length loss would also benefit. I believe I'm clear about the pre amp being located pretty close to the antenna and also that all a pre amp can do is help over come signal loss in the cable from the antenna to the T.V. Would that pre amp use rule out 30' cable loss completely? I ask because in terms of elimination of issues if it does, it leaves the field cluttered with just: The building envelope can of worms, OTA signal strength, and Elevation right? In the big antenna realm an attic floor set up would potentially allow a huge antenna that would look ridiculous on top of this building. Perhaps a smaller rooftop set up would work better but I am just floating balloons here still trying to explore the stealth option as though price is no object.
Many thanks for having this forum to bounce ideas around on!
HP

Last edited by herplace; 18-Dec-2009 at 3:37 PM. Reason: spell check
herplace is offline   Reply With Quote