View Single Post
Old 14-Dec-2009, 1:41 PM   #3
herplace

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your reply! I hope not to waste your time with my lack of understanding.
I measured the stretch from the back of the one T.V. to the attic location of the old style outdoor roof antenna which I'm still not clear what to call. The distance is about 30' using thin coax. Never have thought of getting a pre-amp. That's a new concept to me and I'd like to know more about that! The antenna is what I think covers both UHF and VHF ranges. It's not huge but it spreads out horizontally at one end with thin aluminum tubes and then on the southwest side of the mounting mast the main boom has a smaller spread of aluminum fluted extensions in a tighter configuration. It pretty much gets in the way up there. The boom has a southwest/northeast orientation if I understand the pointing question right. The roof is slate but there is a metal ridge cap and there is no house wiring at the level of the antenna although there is some running along the floor. There are no power lines around this location either. Can you tell from the information regarding the broadcasters signals why only NBC comes in so well? Would a Pre-amp really give my T.V. more to work with?
One more detail: Back in the analog days I had three channels with snow on some more than others. Its hard to recall if NBC was the best back then. The attic antenna had a really old style flat wire running to the T.V. location. At one point I had some insulation installed and something got bumped up there and Fox never came in again. Actually all the channels disappeared until the antenna got re-set. At that point it was just NBC and CBS that remained and I think one of them came in a little better than before the insulation project. I'd be interested to get advice on how to really point the antenna correctly.
Thanks very much for your questions and comments!
I really appreciate your insight!
HP
herplace is offline   Reply With Quote