View Single Post
Old 16-Feb-2019, 4:44 AM   #7
scott784

You are so right. Inches do matter! It's amazing how sensitive UHF can be to small adjustments in antenna placement. It appears much more so versus FM radio....especially as you get 50 plus miles out.

Curiosity got the best of me recently, and I picked up a Clearstream 4MAX for testing. Long story short, it is great for picking up stations off its back side. However, its forward gain is not as strong because of the lack of a reflector. So for my particular circumstances with desiring to have out of market locals, and 4 points on the compass, the Clearstream 4v is more effective (with its back reflector).

As for antenna mounts, I actually made one some time back with a plumbers pipe (6 feet tall) and plywood that I picked up at Lowe's. I've only got a 10 by 10 storage area in my attic (rest of attic is off limits with no flooring and other hazards). But within my storage space in the attic, I've moved the antenna around multiple times - also vertically as you said - which also can certainly make a difference.

As for now, I am settling with my Clearstream 4v and keeping it directed at my out of market Charlotte locals. I get my true locals (Greensboro) fairly well with the exception of some annoyances. But I don't think I'll ever have total perfection no matter what antenna I use....due to the multiple towers in different directions I am trying to get. But at the end of the day - things aren't too bad - actually pretty good I suppose for an attic set-up.

Last edited by scott784; 16-Feb-2019 at 4:54 AM.
scott784 is offline   Reply With Quote