View Single Post
Old 30-Jan-2011, 9:33 PM   #7
scott784

I've only lived here for 2 years and I am not aware of my neighborhood being particularly bad as far as lightening strikes. Of course, in the southeastern US, thunderstorms and lightening can be quite common anywhere around here in the Spring and even more so in the summer.

As for a preamp, yes I've got a HDP 269 12db amplifier on my WInegard 9095P antenna. The antenna is only for one television with no splitters along the way to the house. I've got fringe stations that I can receive. I deliberately used a preamp so I could grab those fringe television stations, along with my other locals.

From your previous comments, I understand any signal loss on a coax will vary based on the device used along the way. As you said, direct coax to coax is very insignificant. On the other hand, as I understand, splitters can cause much more measurable loss--I suppose even with a preamp.

So does a ground block cause virtually no loss? I am gathering from the comments that it is very minimal-perhaps like a good coax to coax connection. Right? I just wanted to fully understand this issue before I break the coax where it meets the house with a ground block.

Last edited by scott784; 4-Feb-2011 at 11:32 PM.
scott784 is offline   Reply With Quote