View Single Post
Old 1-Sep-2020, 5:51 PM   #12
eclipsme

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
It was worth it to me; it gave me a spectrum analyzer for $25. I was then able to see if the channel was there when my tuner didn't pick it up during a channel scan.

The first thing I did when learning about SDRs was download the SDR# (SDRsharp) software, which was ready to use. The dongle and SDR# will only show about 2 MHz. But, I was then able to look at part of a channel, its pilot carrier, and estimate the SNR of the channel.

I was also able to look at and listen to FM signals.

This gave me the confidence to try the spectrum analyzer for the RTL-SDR.COM V3 dongle.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

I knew that if I couldn't figure out the RTLSDR Scanner, I would at least have the dongle and SDR# software.
This is not looking too difficult. SDRSharp is downloaded as a zip file and rtlsdr scanner has an installation file. The scanner is what allows you to see the entire channel (or multiples), right?

I almost stumbled by buying a clone but now I understand what to buy.

In another post, you advised me to point my antenna towards Orlando rather than Palm Beach. I have done so to good effect. CBS in Orland came in 80-100% right away, but then to 0 and back again. I want to use the scanner to lock in that station.

Sorry to appropriate the thread from the OP.
eclipsme is offline   Reply With Quote