Thread: Ant Selection
View Single Post
Old 30-Nov-2016, 3:16 PM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

The suggestion by ADTech is a good one.

How to use the TVFOOL Interactive Map Browser

To select the best location for your antenna, you need to use the tvfool interactive map browser and move the cursor, by drag and drop, to your antenna location. Enter the antenna height. As you move the cursor, you will see the coordinates change to follow the cursor.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=90

As you zoom in, you can choose map or satellite view. You can turn on the green signal lines. In satellite view you can sometimes choose vertical view or bird's eye view. You can turn off the street names (Labels) to protect your identity, if the image is shown in a post.

If you have a problem with the map browser, you can give me your address or the coordinates of your antenna in a PM (Private Forum Message) and I can generate the map.
Quote:
What about attic vs roof mount?
The signal loss in an attic is difficult to predict. You will need to make a temporary test setup to see if it will work. Don't drill any holes yet.
Quote:
Will the shorter cable offset the loss in height and going through more obstacles?
I doubt it. The obstacles will probably create a greater loss. Anyway, the preamp will minimize the cable loss for a longer run if the preamp is close to the antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Consider the Antennas Direct DB8e, 91XG, and Solid Signal HDB91X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkynutz View Post
Edit- the first two are definitely way to big and heavy to mount outside where I'd like.
The overhead service is a few feet away straight south from where I'm mounting and don't trust anything big there.
The last one maybe, but smaller would make me feel better.
The DB8e is an 8-bay bowtie panel antenna. The 91XG and the HDB91X are both UHF Yagi design antennas about the same size; the HDB91X is a clone copy of the 91XG.
Quote:
Am I wasting my time even thinking red uhf channels are possible with my requirements?
No, your report indicates that what you want is possible if the antenna is located where the best signals are at your location.

Last edited by rabbit73; 30-Nov-2016 at 3:38 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote