Thread: Antenna Rec.
View Single Post
Old 6-Dec-2012, 6:00 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

If you want to avoid the use of an amplifier, use an antenna with more gain. Antenna gain beats amplifier gain every time because the antenna does not add noise and distortion, the amplifier does. For runs of 50 feet and less, to a single TV, an amplifier can only help if the tuner has a poor noise figure. On the other hand, if you are splitting the signal, your TVFR indicates the need for a preamplifier. (A left in splitter with unused ports should be removed, replaced with a barrel connector for a single TV or, a splitter with only enough output ports to feed the actual number of sets connected.)

If you have large amounts of freezing rain or sleet, I would have a minor concern. Here in the NW, wet snow is the only kind we seem to get. I've never had any trouble with wet snow, it sloughs off easily. Tree limbs are the worst hazard an antenna faces, IMO.

Having said that, I would opt for a Winegard HD7082P or the slightly larger 7084. My hope would be to get a lock on real CH-5, KRDN-LP. (If they finish building the digital low power facility)

Another option would be the narrower Winegard HD7696, 7697 or 7698. You would not expect to receive any of the signals on real CH-2 through CH-6 though.

In any case I would install an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp. An easy task. It will insure your ability to split the signal and use longer coax runs.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote