View Single Post
Old 30-Sep-2016, 12:24 PM   #11
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeen View Post
I mounted pretty similarly with the HDB91X on top using the Stellar Labs UHF - VHF Antenna Combiner http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2230-/33-2230 this was a pain as the combiner case would not contain the high quality guarded cables I had been using due to the heads being too large for the case so I had to cut new traditional cables with twist on heads to fit the case.
The end result so far is that 2 is rock solid, not a single dropout since I scanned in the afternoon until I pointed east to get 24 Toledo around midnight, 9 was less good, only could get with a direct point (whereas a general ch 50 point will do) with a lot of breakup, the UHF reception has been pretty disappointing, I'm really hoping its the weather as its been storming in Detroit today but tonight (prime reception time) I scanned under 20 channels (poor in any weather) 20 & 7 haven't been seen at all & 4 ,62, 56 are only seen intermittently with lots of breakup, I thought in the first couple hours that ch 4 "seemed" rock solid & I was expecting it to stay. I was hoping for improvement with the height boost of the HDB91X but perhaps the DB4e was doing more than I thought when I consider it to be UHF overkill, it always was a very impressive antenna, I got the HDB91X for a more directional point but I'm not sure if it tops the fringe reception, I would hate to have to remount again soon as that was more of a pain than expected but if things don't improve something will have to change.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...m5pQzM4Y3BicE0
It might be that the DB4e worked better because it is not as directional since it looks like you are trying to pick up channels from some degrees apart.

That is a nice combiner.

For about $14 more there is a RCA PREAMP1R available and it is a great UHF/VHF combiner. I used it to combine my UHF VHF antennas. it has about 20bd boost and lower noise. There were some issues reported a while back, but I haven't read anything lately and both of mine work well:

ttps://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1Z-Preamplifier-Outdoor-Antenna/dp/B003P92D9Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475238081&sr=1-1&keywords=RCA+PREAMP1R
That preamp couldn't hurt looking at the distances you are working with...

Anyhow, I hope one of the experts can offer some help here for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MCM Combiner crop.jpg (47.7 KB, 2483 views)
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote