View Single Post
Old 26-Mar-2010, 12:32 PM   #24
Dave Loudin

You cannot combine the MANT with another UHF antenna - you cannot guarantee that the signals received by each will add in phase. My idea of combining a VHF antenna with the MANT depended on getting acceptable UHF performance with what you have. If you are not happy with the occasional dropouts, then you need to go with the 4221/HBU-33 combination.

The benefits of going with more directional antennas:

1) eliminating virtually all dropouts
2) picking up a few Pittsburgh stations

The disadvantage is cost.

Now, if you want to go with the HBU-33 for Cleveland and the CM4221 for Youngstown/Pittsburgh, you should actually be able to combine the two without much penalty. Why? The antenna pointed to Cleveland will have very little, if any, sensitivity towards Youngstown and the antenna pointed towards Youngstown will have little, if any, sensitivity to Cleveland. Therefore, as an interim step:

replace the MANT with the 4221, aim your old UHF antenna at Cleveland, combine the two with a splitter/joiner (NOT the USVJ, sorry), and feed the distribution amp. You will lose the Cleveland VHF this way.

You need to go back and reread my posts. I've tried to give you complete answers each time, and all the information in this post can be found in previous ones. Good luck!
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote