View Single Post
Old 16-Jun-2011, 11:34 PM   #32
gossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Unless we clearly indicate otherwise, I and the other regular posters here, speak only of the real channel numbers. This is because antenna selection is base on the real frequencies (channels) to be received. Antennas have no 'awareness' of virtual channel numbers, nor do they have any ability to distinguish between analog, digital, CW, AM, FM, SSB, PM or any other type of modulation. Virtual channel numbers help the broadcaster retain brand recognition established over many years... they also help confuse antenna selection.

WABC is on real channel 7 - conveniently that lines up with their VC#
WPIX is on real channel 11 - again, they conveniently were able to match the real and VC#
WNET is on real channel 13 - ditto
WCBS, WNBC, WWOR and many other did not manage to match real and virtual channels as they switched from analog to digital modulation.

The bottom line is, you need to check each one you are interested in.

Antennas are designed to operate over some range of frequencies determined by the intended application. Some antennas are only designed to operate over a narrow range of frequencies while other designs are intended for use over a wide range of frequencies. Antennas intended for low frequencies require longer elements and wider spacing than equal performing antennas at higher frequencies. Generally, an antenna designed to operate over a wide range of frequencies will be larger than one designed for a narrow range of frequencies.

It is easier to design a high gain UHF antenna that fits into a relatively small volume than a lower frequency VHF antenna. This is simply due to the physics involved. High gain Wifi antennas operate at frequencies well above the UHF band and as a result can be made far more compact... for the same reasons.
Thanks for the explanation. FWIW, that is pretty much what I had understood, so I don't feel like I'm completely new at this :-)

Thanks,
Dave
gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote