View Single Post
Old 2-Feb-2015, 11:54 PM   #23
GroundUrMast

The Antennas Direct DB8 is a pre-2009 UHF-only design so it was designed to cover real channels 14 through 69. As such it will have slightly less gain than the DB8E which designers were able to optimize for real CH-14 through CH51. At the core of the design differences are subtle changes to element length and spacing (a little can make a big difference).

The newer DB8E allows for adjustment of it's reception pattern. As the panels move from away from pointing at the same point on the horizon, the antennas gain is reduced. Some folks may have the mistaken belief that the gain will remain the same when the panel angles are changed. That's not true. The Antennas Direct technical documentation clearly shows how wide reception patterns come at the expense of gain.

I've built several UHF antennas in the last few years, each successful in terms of anticipated performance. If I find myself contemplating a mod of factory made antenna or a complete 'from scratch' build, I'm pretty sure I'd avoid damaging a decent factory built item. (But we'll see... No hard fast rule here.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-Feb-2015 at 11:59 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote