View Single Post
Old 4-Aug-2014, 5:26 PM   #16
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by germm View Post
My last effort would be to purchase a DB8e. Given everything I have tried and the poor signal to my current DB4e, do you think purchasing a DB8e will really help my cause? I know there are no guarantees, but I would at least like opinions about the receiving power of the DB8e. Or would it make any difference to try a directional yagi antenna?
Looking at the performance data sheets for the DB4e, DB8e, and 91XG, the gain at 546 MHz (corresponds to channel 26, close to channel 28 which is what you're trying to get for football) is 15.4 dBi for the DB8e, 12.59 dBi for the DB4e, and 13.68 dBi for the 91XG. Doubling the size of the DB4e by going to the DB8e adds about 3dB, which makes sense (twice the signal power). Maybe you can add another DB4e on the same mast, but I don't know if that would be as easy to do as it sounds (and have it work as well as the DB8e). But I believe the elevation beam width would get narrower, so you'd probably have to tilt the whole mast back a bit so they're aimed at the visible horizon.

Whether or not adding 3dB is worth it or not, I couldn't even begin to guess, but doubling the received power at the antenna certainly sounds good at least.

I'd probably try it, as a last gasp effort, though. If it works, return or sell the DB4e.

Click the 'Documents' tab for each antenna, and then the 'Technical Data' link, and you can see the data sheets. AD does a great job with these. Wish all the others put that much info out there.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store..._Antennas.html
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote