View Single Post
Old 23-Nov-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
StephanieS

Jeremiah,

Great help has been given by Teleview and GroundUrMast,

I do want to share results that I have gotten using my RCA ANT751 and putting either a distribution amp or a preamp on the mast - neither benefit me. In the end, in my situation, I lose signals due to either overloading or factors I am not aware of.

Thus, my RCA ANT751 operates unamplified pushing it's signal down 150' of coax to the farthest TV. The configuration has an initial 100' drop of coax to get indoors, to an A/B switch, then to a power passing Eagle Aspen P-1000-2AP-GX 2-Way Splitter and finally to the two leads, 20' and 50' respectively.

My other antenna, an Antenna's Direct 91XG, has a RCA Preamp on the mast, then pushes it's signal down the 100' drop to the A/B switch. The preamp power adapter is at the end of the 100' drop. From there, the set up is the same as the RCA ANT751's flow chart.

Both my antennas perform as expected. I wish I had a little more signal on the ANT751 for a weaker channel I enjoy, but that is a minor gripe.

The fact with a single lead, before adding the second coax everything worked fine shows your drop from the antenna and the antenna itself is fine.

Regarding the coax issues, I agree with GroundUrMast, things seem suspect. I generally prefer to do a fresh install instead of piggybacking on old satellite company installations, thus you know all the parts you've put into it the set up.

Going on your roof and having worse reception is not normal, attempt another location on the roof. Double check your connections. Has your coax been harshly bent, kinked or roughed up? That can make a difference and a big one.

You had success in the attic with everything but the second lead. Before moving the antenna outdoors (the ideal place) I'd have replaced that second lead. Keeping the setup in place would've allowed you to troubleshoot the second lead and getting the set up as a whole 100%

Antenna installs are a macro and micro problem management. If you know as a whole the system is good, like you did, you can focus on micro problems, like the second lead.

Pick up a replacement for that second lead... and let us know

I might try removing all amplification and just splitting the coax (with the new second lead) and see how that fares, then adding amplification back in the chain so you can see a side by side comparison of results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
I don't think so, no.

In any event I went ahead and decided to put it outside. At the moment it is about 4 feet above the roof. After installing it I tested to see if it worked with just the line coming from the antenna and I got one channel. What the ****? What the hell is going on? I have it pointing in the general direction of 280ยบ like recommended above and it's now doing worse than it did in the attic. I don't know how that's possible. Tomorrow I'm going to go ahead and replace the line coming from the transformer with one that is tested and working, but my hope is all but evaporated that it will work. I will try with the amp as well. I really, really, don't want to have to get basic cable.

Last edited by StephanieS; 23-Nov-2013 at 10:59 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote