View Single Post
Old 3-Sep-2013, 2:24 PM   #1
spivonious

Improving reception in Lancaster, PA

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae1f27ccf8b8

Comcast is going to encrypt our locals starting next month, so we decided to switch to OTA. I built mclapp's 4-bay bowtie design using 10" whiskers with a 9.5" spacing with no reflector. I used steel coat hangers for the whiskers, and some 6awg bare copper for the phasing lines. They're all mounted to a piece of scrap wood I had and placed in our attic, roughly 25 feet above ground level on the western side of the house. The antenna is pointing at a plywood wall with a side vent approximately 2'x1' covered with a metal screen. The antenna is about 3 feet away from the wall. It is above the neighbor's roof, but not above their tree (which is full of leaves this time of year).

With the help of my wonderful wife, I managed to get the antenna aimed at the best spot for the channels we watch the most (WGAL, WPMT, WHP, and WITF). It turned out to be parallel to the wall of the house, which I estimate at about 275 degrees (I couldn't find my compass).

The signal is split twice before the TV. I put an old Radio Shack 10dB booster that I had in the line before the first split. Due to no electric in the attic, the booster is after approximately 40' of cable. All cable in the house is RG6.

Average signal levels right now are (according to my TV):
WPMT (RF47): 87%
WLYH (RF23): 76%
WGAL (RF8): 100%
WHP (RF21): 86%
WITF (RF36): 76%
WGCB (RF30): 63%
WHTM (RF10): 47%

It seems that with my TV, anything over 55% comes in fine with no glitches. Below that and I start getting intermittent blocking and anything under 50% just won't tune at all.

The problem is that WHTM is just too weak for the TV to pick up reliably, even when the antenna is aimed right at the tower (got an average signal level of 50%). I'd also like to be able to pick up the Baltimore PBS just to see what's on, but that's not as important as WHTM, and I'm doubtful I can do it without a separate antenna aimed south.

Would a reflector help? Should I get a dedicated VHF-high antenna (such as the AntennaCraft Y5-7-13) and a diplexer? Am I stuck with mounting outside of the attic? I'd prefer to avoid putting an antenna on the roof for cosmetic reasons (and that I'm picking up most channels fine inside the attic). Would I see any benefit from replacing the coat hangers with something like the AntennaCraft U4000?

Last edited by spivonious; 3-Sep-2013 at 2:52 PM.
spivonious is offline   Reply With Quote