View Single Post
Old 22-Aug-2013, 9:23 PM   #1
doug4au

Need help selecting a new antenna

Well, it is time to replace my antenna that has lasted about ten years. I believe it is a Channel Master 3020, but don't hold me to that. It has done ok for me, but now I have all but lost reception. It has a couple of broken elements and I think the preamp is probably shot. My info is as follows:

Located in east central Alabama, hilly terrain and dense trees. I sit near the top of a tall plateau.

Antenna is on a 35' tower with a 5' mast (40' total), so I want to get this right the first time. The tower is anchored in concrete, bolted to the house, and grounded. The tower seems as solid as a rock and can be climbed, so I din't think the wind affects it. It has a preamp on the mast and another amp under the house.

I am running 2 TVs on it and there is about 100' of cable run from the antenna to the amp under the house.

I have a Channel Master digital rotar that works fine.

Here is a link to the interactive map results:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aee8f9edebaa

I have been picking up about half of these channels with the old antenna, rotating the antenna.

It is essential that I pick up the first 12 or so on the list (which I have been) and that includes a couple of high VHF channels. Any more channels would be a bonus, and if I can reach out there and get them, I'd like to try.

I want to get the best reception I can of course without breaking the bank. The biggest expense in my setup is the tower, of course, and I want to keep using it. I want a good quality antenna because getting up to it is problematic, to say the least.

Should I go with another deep fringe antenna or should I stack 2 seperate ones?

What type of pre amp?

What type of wire and connectors? (while I am doing this I am going to replace it all)

If I have forgotten anything let me know. Thanks in advance.
doug4au is offline   Reply With Quote