View Single Post
Old 19-Nov-2012, 3:52 AM   #1
l3uddha

Help determining existing setup

Hi, I would like to use the old existing antennae on my roof and I need some help determining what exactly is up there and some suggestions on upgrading the cables. I have attached a picture for reference, as well as the reception test. There is a two-prong wire from the lower antenna that I have my TV hooked into now. It runs about 30 feet into the basement, then as an experiment I hooked up a coax converter to it and ran temporary coax through the house to the TV. I get six channels, all under 11.x on my TV.

There is a top antenna, but the two-prong wire coming off of it is too old and corroded to use.

There is a rotator with a three-prong wire coming off of it, but I don't know if this works and I have no way to control the motor. It looks pretty rusty so I figure I'll just replace it down the road.

For now...
Does anyone know the differences between these two antennae? Are they for different frequency bands? Maybe this is typically written on the antenna somewhere?

Since there are two antennae, is there some way to combine both antenna signals into one coax cable to hook into the TV?

I will be replacing the old two-prong wires with coax. The coax cable will be run maybe a little more than 60 feet, half of that being outside. What type of coax do you think is best for this?

I would eventually like to put a wifi antenna on the roof also, and it would be nice to use this existing antenna mount. Will there be any issues mixing the wifi and TV antennae together?

thanks very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna2.jpg (97.9 KB, 536 views)
File Type: png test2.png (69.9 KB, 532 views)

Last edited by l3uddha; 19-Nov-2012 at 3:59 AM.
l3uddha is offline   Reply With Quote